Dissociative identity disorder would mean a state or condition wherein someone has two or more diverse characters that can direct his or her consciousness at some point in time. This kind of disorder is the outcome of severe trauma experienced during the early childhood, or in extreme points, these are the effects of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse that a particular person had undergone.
Ways To Cope
Coping with dissociative identity disorder will be easier if the person experiencing this will have the idea on the ways on how to overcome it, however reading will not cure anything unless someone put it into action. Because dissociative identity disorder is also a serious problem that should be more emphasized and must be given immediate intervention so that the traumatic experiences you have encountered will not ruin your life and you will not be afraid of doings things. Coping with dissociative identity disorder can be prevented if you make decision that will lessen the burden you are carrying. Here are some helpful tips that will benefit you in coping with the dissociative identity disorder.
1. Look for a therapist and by the help of your therapist make writings about your distinct personalities. Try to recognize these two identities as if they are two different people, though its kind a weird but it’s helpful in order for you to be aware of these two identities.
2. Since you recognize them as different identities, organize things that will entertain your other personalities occasionally. Consider them as different individuals, like for example, one of these identities enjoys doing team sports activities, then that shows the need for you to be engaged or be part of a team.
3. Always be observant about the situations that may produce dissociation. Since you cannot control everything that could happen in your environment, always make sure that you are aware of the events that could happen, for instance being with a friend who knows about your condition to attend on an office party will help in coping with dissociative identity disorder and in reducing the tension you feel.
4. You should also have calendars in some places where you are not sure of your safety like in your cars, or even in the rooms of your house. This tip of putting calendars in some places will help you in orienting yourself on time once you intertwine in and out of your consciousness.
5. If you have your write ups in your journal, keep it and make sure that no one could read it except you. Always offer yourself the freedom to take note of the bad emotions you had. Read and write notes as long as you can until you come to be astonished on the personalities you have.
6. Do activities that will make you feel relaxed and at peace. A good example is to do an effort of trying new sports and creative things like doing crafts that will make your hands busy and mind free. And try to explore things that will bring you happiness and joy which is also a great help in coping with dissociative identity disorder.
7. Empathize with both of your personalities. Although it’s a natural feeling to get frustrated when your two distinct personalities does thing that you cannot understand, but then a good result may come if you don’t expect for something to happen.
Manage your two distinct identities carefully and make sure that you would be able to cope with dissociative identity disorder and overcome these fears that cause you pains and problems.